Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bio: Emily


About Emily:

I am an EXREMELY blessed and lucky girl.  I have an amazing family and friends.  I bought my first home two years ago - what you’d call an intense fixer upper. =)  I love designing and working on my own house, huge passion for movies and books, and coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas!  But my story and blessings are far from the everyday wonders I thank God for…

At age nineteen, just as I was about to start my first year of college away from home, I was diagnosed with stage four cervical cancer.  I had not been feeling great all summer and they discovered a cyst on my ovary that needed emergency surgery. My mom had to drive down to my apartment in Mankato and take me in for the cyst removal in Minneapolis.  I never returned to my apartment.

They found my cancer only because I had complications after the surgery and was rushed back in.  Within a week of my “easy” procedure, I had cancer that had spread to my lungs and was having my first chemo treatment. I would not be going to school. No one said it to me but no one expected me to be around at all. It is the only time I remember seeing my father cry. My two younger siblings were still in grade school and honestly to this day I don’t know what the repercussions are that they suffered from that year. My mom dropped everything taking me to appointments and being home with me as much as possible. I had six months of chemo. One treatment a month that took all day, and it took a month for my counts to recover before I was ready for the next round.  I almost didn’t make the last one on time.  I was hospitalized twice I believe during the time. I lost all my hair. I don’t remember conversations I had with people and the whole time in general is slightly foggy from all the medications. 

I started treatment in August and they did a scan in December right around Christmas time and we were just praying that there would be some positive results. I had a lot of people praying for me. One family got home and mom and daughter said oh I need you to pray for this girl… it was both me through different people they had heard about me.  In December, after only five treatments, my CT scans were almost completely clear. Absolutely nothing. According my amazing Dr. Argenta, it is not possible that I got cancer, it is not possible that I was healed in that amount of time with his treatment, and as he so nicely told me at my five year check-up, he did not expect me to live two weeks the day he first saw me! He calls me his miracle patient every day. I believe him, because it takes a miracle to cure cancer.  It’s a combination of the hope and prayers, strength and knowledge and all these wonderful people working together. If he can encourage another patient with my story, I hope he uses it each and every day while he’s battling this disease on the front lines trying to find new treatments. That’s why it would be so great if we could join together to help raise some money to fund cancer research. 

I did finish up my treatment with a month long of radiation treatment after chemo.  I would like to say that all the staff at the UofM is absolutely fantastic and I wouldn’t go anywhere else.  They made an unbearable time bearable.  My family is wonderful and I don’t think I gave them enough credit for that both then and now. Cancer doesn’t end after treatment. Effects of chemo and radiation can follow you for a long time.  I can’t have children- I have to adopt.  I missed out on a couple years of my life.  It is hard to reclaim a life you thought was over.

But this year I celebrated EIGHT years in remission!  

I am learning to get my life back and be happy and healthy and have fun! My Wilderness Warriors Ladies are great for that! I feel like I can finally stop living under that cancer shadow. I want to get out there and share my experiences and add a ton more to it! Although, I’ll try to keep the near-death count down, Dad!  =)  (For another time, ask me about the car or house fire, etc.)

TTFN!


LIVING LIFE >CANCER

No comments:

Post a Comment