Saturday, June 8, 2013

Bio: Liz

About Liz:

I was recently married to the man of my dreams, Matt, in September 2012. We have two boys, Chance, 11, a big sport fan, and Franklin, 4, obsessed with every kind of superhero. We also have one more (sex TBD) on the way!

I chose the label ‘Canvas’ not only because I have tattoos, piercings, and like to frequently change my hair’s color to anything else but ‘natural’, but also because I accept all of life’s experiences, challenges, and tests as a way of molding who I am. I always say I have no regrets in life because if I went back and changed anything, I wouldn’t be the woman I am today, and frankly, I quite like her and the path it took to get here!

“I wouldn’t trade the pain for what I have learned…” from “Crystal Ball” by P!nk. Click here to hear the whole song.

While I am not a religious person, I do have a strong belief that things work out the way they are supposed to and “what’s meant to be will be”. This work of art (my soul) has been taking shape for 32 years thus far and has many more modifications to come I’m sure. Therefore, I am: “The Canvas”.

I am doing this hike against cancer as part of my journey in dealing with my mom’s recent death. My mom died of lung cancer March 1st. 2013, just 5 weeks after being diagnosed.

A little about my mom: 

My mom was the toughest person I ever knew. She was a very practical, hard-working, strong, faithful, patriotic, reliable, and humble woman. She was not afraid of anything; not even her sudden, fatal diagnosis of Stage 4 Small-cell Lung Cancer.

My mom had an endless amount of skills, from sewing, painting, calligraphy, aviculture (when we lived in Hawaii we had over 100 birds, many of which were exotic/endangered species), gardening, upholstery, and was often called upon when someone needed something done. Everyone knew you could call Jan and she would take on whatever project, whether it be nursing an injured animal back to health, sewing a wedding gown, a quick hair-cut, some sound advice, help on a school project, to re-arranging your living room. She was well known for her reliability in any situation. She spent her whole life putting the needs of others first.

There are so many things I learned from my mom, but one thing that sticks out is a lesson on anger management. Back when I was young and naïve, I found it very satisfying to throw something and break it when I was mad. I remember talking to my mom about it and her response: “Oh, phff! When you are mad, try scrubbing the floors!” I can still here her voice telling me, “That way when you’re done being mad, at least your floors are clean!” She did not pout about anything in life, and certainly not her short, abrupt ending. This hike for me is my way of “scrubbing the floors” to deal with the grief. When it’s over, besides raising money for the fight against cancer, I look forward to the great bond I will have built with incredible friends and the true beginning of the healing process of life without your mom.

My mom's life >cancer

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why my username is that!!!! But, I wanted to say this is very well written, brought tear to my eye. You are absolutely one of the strongest, most practical woman I know Liz!!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great profile and story about your mom Liz! I love that you are doing this for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Liz, this was such a beautiful story of your mom. I never knew her, but your description of her paints me a lovely, vivid picture.
    <3
    --Cati Holker

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete